I hardly know where to start so much has happened and is happening!
Six of us went to Uganda and, first of all, enjoyed wonderful weather! 60-80 degrees each day and limited humidity. It was a great respite from the weather we have been having here in New Jersey. Contrary to perception, Uganda has wonderful weather!
Here is the update:
- We have 42 pigs in our pig farm. You can always donate $50 to buy a pig which then can be sold either for breeding or eating.
- We have 8,000 chickens but 1,000 have reached the end of their egg laying so we need to replace them. You can buy two chickens for $5!
- We need an x-ray machine and an ultrasound machine. If you know of any hospital that is upgrading their equipment I would love to get the machines and get them over there.
- We met with Peter Kiggundu who is the CEO of Ruth Gaylord Hospital in Kampala. He also needs x-ray and ultrasound so see if we can find two of each.
- I also have permission from Peter to pursue getting interns for his hospital and we would share them (we need three … two would be in Kampala and one at our school on a rotation basis which would give them two months of big city and one month in a village.)
- We visited St. Bernard’s school where 150 of our orphans are going to secondary school. It was so exciting to see children that I have know throughout their school years! The most exciting aspect is they want to go on and have careers. (We already have 50 in college/technical training!).
- Met with the Masaka Rotary to solicit an endorsement from them so the Rotary that I belong to in Minnesota can undertake raising $100,000 for the school. If we raise $65,000 through our district, International will match up to 50%. I have sent them to see the school and will follow up shortly.
- We have 500,000 coffee tree seedlings that can be sold once they get a certain height. We are also growing mango trees … Geofrey is quite the entrepreneur.
Now, in spite of 90 degree weather here, it’s time to start planning the Christmas trip. The dates are November 9-21 and we put on a Christmas party for the children as well as giving every girl a new dress and every boy a new shirt.
By the way, we are doing our annual Christmas in July solicitation. if you wish to donate just go to our website … www.sylviaschildren.org. And, if you want to know the REAL meaning of Christmas come with me ($3,700 if you are flying with us out of Newark). Just e-mail me if you want more information and I will send the complete itinerary. (This is the Christmas Cake … we serve 1,000+ children and staff from this cake!)
Have a great summer and considering going with us at Christmas.
And, thanks for caring about these children!